Is it possible to set up a monthly maximum for articles viewed before registration is required?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use S2member to create a monthly limit on the number of unique posts an IP address can view before registration is required?

I’m hoping to set up something similar to a news website like the New York Times where people have a limit of how many articles they can view a month before they have to register.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

There’s no way for WordPress – and, therefore, no way for s2Member either – to know who each visitor is unless s/he logs in. So the short answer to your question is that s2Member can’t do what you want.

The longer answer is that you can still do it the same way that the New York Times does it, which is to use cookies. This involves the creation of what is known as a “leaky paywall.”

You can Google for examples of how to do this. There’s also a WP plugin in the repo called Leaky Paywall which might do what you want (I’ve never tried it), and there might be other plugins around with similar functionality too. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey Tim,

Thanks for such an informative response! Much appreciated! I’m going to check out Leaky Paywall now to see if it could work for my site.

All the best,
Jenna