Is Comment Mail Pro dead?

There have been no updates in ages (including the promised one for GDPR compliance) and GitHub issues stay unanswered by @clavaque. Unfortunately, the lack of maintenance means that there are already lots of warnings with PHP 7.4 and things will definitely break with PHP 8.0.

So is Comment Mail officially dead? If so, I ask you to release the last Pro version under the GPL (including the CSS and HTML and JavaScript files) so that the WordPress community can take over updates. Right now, I can fork the repository on GitHub, but the license forbids making it available to the public (interesting question: Does forking count as distributing here?) without excising all non-PHP content, which is practically impossible.

In case Comment Mail is not dead (which would be great, I don’t really have time to maintain another large plugin, but I have not found a better solution for double opt-in comment subscripts), when can we expect a new release?

Hi Peter.

I’m sorry, but I can’t say that I will be working on Comment Mail any time soon. In the past 2 years, I have only seen 2 people buy the Pro upgrade. Considering the amount of work it’ll take for me to learn its code, and then resolve any warnings or issues, I can’t justify it. Especially having so much to do with s2Member and then Comet Cache too.

At the same time, I don’t want to just let it go, because it is something I’d like to look closer at in the future, hopefully not distant, after taking care of the more pressing items. Feel free to fork it, but please don’t distribute it. If you want to contribute your code to the community, I can review the changes you propose and make a release, though.

I’m sorry it’s not the best news, but I hope you understand. :confused:

Thank you so much for your interest and reaching out. I really appreciate it. As a user of the plugin who understands its value from using it on your sites, if you have any suggestions for the project, I’ll be very happy to learn about them. :slight_smile: