Integrating with Paypal

I’ve been using Stripe and it’s working great with S2Member Pro. Now I’ve added Paypal for recurring payments. People have joined with Paypal so I receive the payment. The problem is that there’s no field for the user to create a profile while paying so I’ve had to manually create a new account for the user in S2member. Once the user purchases through paypal they’re redirected to my custom "thank you’ page although they weren’t added to my s2member membership,

What am I missing? How can the user register a profile just like they do with Stripe? Thanks.

How are you selling the subscriptions with PayPal? With s2Member Pro you just use a PayPal Pro-Form to sell the subscription and the User will be registered, just like with Stripe.

I have regular paypal and I used a paypal button for recurring payment. I’m assuming then I have to have paypal pro in order to use the paypal pro forms? Is this correct?
Thanks

I’m pretty sure I’ve used a Pro-Form with PayPal Standard (removing all the payment choices except PayPal), but not 100%.

That said, if you are using an s2Member PayPal button, your new members should be sent a registration link after payment. You should not have to register them manually.

Thanks. Yes I’ve used the s2member paypal button and the new users are definitely NOT being sent a registration link.

Stupid question, please bear with me. Did you set up the PayPal Options (WP Dashboard → s2Member (Pro) → PayPal Options). I’m sure you did because a button wouldn’t work if it wasn’t set up, but I have never had any issues with PayPal buttons not registering people. What button generator did you use? (WP Dashboard → s2Member (Pro) → PayPal Buttons?

Yes to both questions

@rinaorellana Did you set the “Pypal IPN”?

Thank you all for replying. I don’t know what happened. I think the internet gnomes came to fix my site secretly. Someone just paid via paypal and was able to create their own account. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Paypal is now not integrating with S2member again. It did once, meaning a customer signed up for a recurring payment and was able to register to create a username and password for my site.

Now, that doesn’t work anymore. I have the paypal IPN set up, account details, PDT, confirmation email all set up. It’s just that confirmation email that’s not being sent out. The customer receives a receipt from paypal though for the transaction.

Can you help me figure out what I’m missing please? Thanks

When you say “It’s just that confirmation email that’s not being sent out.” you mean that EVERYTHING else is working: an account in WordPress is being set up correctly, the EOT is being set correctly, etc?

Are ANY emails being sent out from your website? Do you have an email logger set up and can you verify that the emails are not being set up? I use Postman SMTP as my email logger because I use SendGrid for all transactional emails, but there are plenty of SMTP logging plugins for WordPress.

Actually, no. Everything is not working. I was under the assumption that the account with Wordpress only happened after someone set up the account AFTER paying with Paypal and receiving a separate email. Everything works fine if someone signs up with Stripe- confirmation emails, account set, etc.

With Paypal, what works is that someone presses the button, is led to paypal to confirm their purchase. Their purchase is set up and I receive a confirmation email that it’s set up in paypal. But no user account is created in Wordpress/s2member.

Does that clarify enough?

From S2member paypal options:

Signup Confirmation Email (required, but the default works fine)

This email is sent to new Customers after they return from a successful signup at PayPal. The primary purpose of this email is to provide the Customer with instructions, along with a link to register a Username for their Membership. You may also customize this further by providing details that are specifically geared to your site.

Thank you for getting back to me.

All right. I still think you need to install an SMTP logger to see whether s2Member/WordPress are sending out the email that is supposed to go out after someone registers with PayPal. They should receive an email with a link to register. You say they are not receiving it, but you have not said whether you are logging the emails. There’s no way to know if the emails are being created without the logger.

1 Like

OK, I installed Postman SMTP. Tested it and it worked. Did a test sale via Paypal from my site with the button generated from S2member.

The sale went through and I was notified of the sale from buyer and seller end. The “create a username” email was definitely logged as going out from Postman email log. But I did not receive that email as the buyer. I checked the spam folder as well.

What’s next for me to do? The email is being logged as going out but the buyer is not receiving it. Thanks.

If the email is going out and never received, I suggest you set up an account with a transactional email service (I use SendGrid for all of my sites). The most likely explanation is that the mail is being discarded as spam by email services before it ever reaches the User’s spam folder.

Have you heard of this happening with Paypal before? It seems so strange that when someone joins my membership through Stripe that everything runs smoothly. But with Paypal the confirmation email doesn’t even make it to the user’s spam folder? How would a transactional email service resolve the issue? Thanks for answering.

The mail filter at your hosting company seems to stop “Paypal spams”, so emails related to Stripe go out. But this is a problem out of s2M…

If the email is being SENT, that isn’t a problem with either s2Member or PayPal. That is an issue between your sending mailserver and the receiving mailserver. If your Stripe notifications are being received then I’d surmise that @krumch is correct and somehow the PayPal messages are kicking off a spam filter that Stripe messages don’t.

One thing SendGrid could do is give you a reason the email isn’t being delivered. If there is an error or you are on a Spam Watchlist, etc… SendGrid’s transaction logs will tell you that. It might take a day or two, depending on the reason for the log to show anything other than “Sent”, but eventually it will either say “Delivered” or a reason why it was not delivered. I assume that other transactional services can do the same, but I haven’t used them so I can’t say for sure.

Bottom line though is that if the emails are being SENT (and you say they are), that isn’t a problem with either s2Member or PayPal. Sorry to be repetitive, but it is the crux of the matter.

No worries about being repetitive! i just didn’t understand how any of this worked. I’m starting to see it though. So, if this is a matter between the sending and receiving mail server, then does a transactional email service override that or does it take the place of my mail server? Thank you.