For RENEWING members, how do I add a profile field they're required to fill out before they can renew?

We are approaching our renewal period for our members-only website. I would like to add a profile field to our member profiles that they are required to fill out before they’ll be allowed to renew. How do I add that check-box to the stripe pro-form? Alternatively, if that is not possible, how to do I force a user to update their profile before they’re able to renew their membership?

Just follow the instructions at General Options -> Profile Fields & Options. Remember to select the level to whom the fields will apply, and make both this field and the associated checkbox required.

Then just direct renewers, when signed in, to use a regular form for the appropriate level (or a Billing Modification form if they will be changing level).

Thanks, but that doesn’t work. Per the instructions in the Profile Fields + Options:

‘Regarding Registration: Custom Fields do not appear during repeat registration and/or checkout attempts (i.e., they do not appear for any user that is currently logged into the site). Please make sure that you test registration and/or checkout forms while not logged in (i.e., please test as a first-time customer). Existing users, members, customers may update Custom Fields by editing their Profile.’

I want to make existing users edit their profile before they’re allowed to renew. Any ideas on how to make that happen?

Yes, you should, in fact, make your own custom version of the form by copying the given one into your (child) theme’s folder and adding the required fields there.

If you do what I suggested originally and view the form when logged out, you will see how to make the fields required.

I would also suggest that you change all tabindex values to 0 to make your form accessible, and add tabindex attributes to every field that requires input, including checkboxes.