Flexible Sampling via Google

When will we be able to work within the premium content market by doing things like “first click free” - which is now replaced by “Flexible Sampling” - and Facebooks model too.

I need a way to provide google a way to see my content - without everyone else in the world seeing it - so we can bring in more readers.

As of right now, generating content with a teaser is our only option and it’s complicated and time consuming for content creators to have to jump through adding shortcode hoops.

Please provide timeline if one exist - or your thoughts on why this isn’t important.

Thank you

The question is how secure do you want this to be. I would say it’s pretty unlikely that such a feature will get added to s2Member because, unless you add something really heavy duty, that will slow down your site significantly, it will leave it possible for users to get round. And then people would complain that s2Member doesn’t work.

If, though, you don’t mind that some people might beat the system – much like how the New York Times doesn’t care about a few people beating its leaky paywall – then it should be pretty simple to code this using a filter on the options table.

I’m not concerned with theft. I’d rather have 1,000 daily new readers to all of my content via search… vs 150 new readers to only the post that are ranking and exposed.

Unfortunately, “premium content” is the only thing making real money right now for me and many other websites that are pure content sites… but managing that premium content is difficult with s2memeber and I’ve built so much around s2member pro already it would be very difficult to switch.

I’m faced with 2 challenges…

1. How do I get good SERP traffic and sell the content as premium? Maybe make 1 out of 3 free to all? This requires management and is hard to automate.

2. How do I programmatically tease the first 300 words for free then show a “sales pitch” to human readers WITHOUT having to teach our content writers how to use short codes and the subsequent HTML sales pitch.

Any ideas are welcomed for sure as content delivery is evolving as is the revenue model for content sites.

Can you share with us a sample of “filtering on the options table” that would get us up and running?

Many thanks

Sure. Here’s an example of an mu-plugin which assumes that you have set all your regular posts to be protected, and then overrides that protection if your site detects that it has a bot “looking” at it:

<?php
function kts_update_page_options( $options ) {
	if ( isBot() ) {
		if ( is_singular( 'post' ) ) { // unprotect all regular posts from bots
			return $options;
		}
		unset( $options['level0_posts'] ); // or
		// unset( $options['level1_posts'] ); //choose which you need
	}
	return $options;
}

function kts_options_init() {
	add_filter( 'option_ws_plugin__s2member_options', 'kts_update_page_options' );
}
add_action( 'parse_query', 'kts_options_init' );

# http://jaspreetchahal.org/php-check-if-search-engine-bot/
function isBot() {
	return (
		isset( $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ) // check if the user agent header key exists
		&& preg_match('/bot|crawl|spider|mediapartners|slurp|patrol/i', $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] )
    );
}

Obviously, you will need to modify this if you want just to show excerpts or achieve some other purpose.

As I say, this is not secure or guaranteed to be accurate. But if you find that the isBot function doesn’t do quite what you want, then it’s easy to Google for an alternative function that will enable PHP to detect bots or a specific bot.

WOW Thank you for the great support and advice!!

1 Like

My pleasure! Please let me know how you get on with it.

(Just to be clear, though, I am not support, just a fellow user who thought this sounded like an interesting question!)

Ha! well still, thank you!

For future reference showing content A to the bots and content B to the users is considering cloaking and is against google webmaster guidelines… so the very act of trying to “keep” traffic by showing all the content to the bots could get your butt in trouble with the big G.

From Google “Cloaking refers to the practice of presenting different content or URLs to human users and search engines. Cloaking is considered a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines because it provides our users with different results than they expected.” Source

Google goes on to advise us to use structured data on our paywalled content and also allow a certain amount of content free / metered before the paywall goes up.

Time to work on a “metered” solution… if I find anything I’ll post it here.

Additional sources:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/7532484
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/paywalled-content

Good to know: I have actually never tried this. It sounds like this would still work, though, if you also implemented a so-called “leaky paywall” where people get to have a certain number of visits for free. Then Google needs to see everything, but humans can only see a few hits before the paywall blocks them. That’s actually how several newspaper sites do it.

There is even a WP plugin called Leaky Paywall. I have never used it, but it sounds like it might be worth a look for you.

1 Like