Fatal error on activating s2member

I’ve been a long-time user of S2Member/S2Member PRO, and have rarely had issues, but now am having a major issue after a PHP upgrade from 5.3 to 5.6.

S2Member simply will not work at all. In fact, when it was active, my site was completely down…I had to have plugins disabled in the database to get in.

I tried removing S2Member, and installing it again by unzipping the s2Member directory directly (rather than installing through Wordpress). When I try to activate S2Member, I get a fatal error that says this:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Warning: require_once( DIR /composer/autoload_real.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directoy in D:\Hosting\5937166\html_jims_wpress\wp-content\plugins\s2member\src\vendor\autoload.php on line 5

I’m on Windows server, PHP 5.6, IIS 7.0, ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5, Hosting Configuration 2.1

I searched the forum for similar issues but could not find anything.

I’ll also note that there are underscores around the DIR but unfortunately I can’t get them to show in the post here…it’s making it bold instead

My suspicion is that this is something to do with your being on a Windows server. Is there any way that you can migrate to a Linux server instead?

So here’s the situation now.

1. I tried setting up a new fresh Wordpress 4.8 installation on another part of the site as a test, with nothing but the default plugins. I then installed S2Member and tried to activate it. I got the same error, so the problem isn’t another plugin.

2. I noticed on my main site that, if I tried to activate my Mailchimp User sync plugin, I would get an error that said, “Mailchimp did not activate because it requires your server to run PHP 5.3 or higher”

But, I was running PHP 5.6, so this didn’t make any sense. I started to suspect there was some type of issue with the PHP upgrade itself. I contacted Godaddy, they did some investigation, and supposedly PHP 5.2 was still running. There appeared to be an issue with the parent server so I’m not the only user with the issue. I have a ticket with Godaddy now and they say it should be resolved by tomorrow. We’ll see.

Ah, it’s GoDaddy! That figures!

So the issue has been resolved…Godaddy migrated me to a new server and fixed the PHP issue. I did end up having some non-S2Member related issues after that, but those have now been resolved as well.