Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()

Just recently, a clients’ site has just been showing errors in Chrome’s Console, following complaints that new users cannot sign up (this was working previously):

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 () and is referring to:

s2member-o.php

I have checked with my host and they are saying that it is a plugin issue, not a server issue. I have searched for a resolution to this but I cannot find anything. Has anyone had experience of this or know how I can resolve this error and allow new users to sign up?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul.

This does sound like a server configuration. If the file were missing, you’d get a 404, but if you check you’ll likely verify that it’s there, just not being served by the server.

That error makes me think of this or something simiilar: https://s2member.com/kb-article/mod-security-odd-403-503-500-errors/

s2member-o.php is the file s2 uses to load its CSS and JS, and has a long query at the end of the URL, which in some cases may trigger a security rule in the server.

Check with your hosting and let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond. You were right and it was a server setting, following an update.
Despite denying that it was a server issue this morning, having told them of your response, they looked further into the issue and sure enough, they found the problem and resolved it straight away.
Thanks again for your help with this.

1 Like

Wonderful! Nice job.

Thank you very much for the update. I’m glad you were able to sort it out.

:slight_smile: