Exported CSV has data in wrong columns

When we export our users’ data and open the CSV file, there are several users who’s information is not in the correct column. For example, column ‘X’ will have custom field for [what vehicle make they drive] (for example), but, the user’s phone number will show up there.

Anyone experience something like this before?

Yes, I just tried an export and found a problem whereby certain users have part of their address (like city) starts a new line in column A. Looking in the extract file, it appears that people entered their address in a box and added a CR/LF to start a new line like this:

PO Box 123
MyCity, St 12345

So I guess I’ll have to strip the carriage returns from the file.

It appears that commas in a filed like an address are handled properly, but not hard carriage returns and linefeeds

New lines properly enclosed in quotes should be handled as part of the field, do we know if this issue was fixed? Can we please get a list of disallowed characters in the import file that we can reference? Or even the function that handles the import so that we can determine the constraints from php documentation?

This is why tab delimited is better than csv. Or even better, JSON

I have tried to export users and the CSV is useless because, when I open the file using Excel, some users have several lines.

Has anyone been able to open an CSV with exported users in order to edit and reimport?

If so… How?

Thanks

Hi Carlos.

What do you mean? One of the files is multiline? Could it be a custom profile field you created with a textarea, or the admin notes? Or by severla lines you mean many rows for the same user? Please clarify, and if you can show me a screenshot, even better.

:slight_smile:

Hi there.

The problem is that the CSV includes CR and LF from fields like admin notes.