Events Calendar Shortcode Plugin Conflict

This one is bizarre (to me)…

I use the Events Calendar Shortcode plugin in order to extend the capabilities of the Events Calendar plugin.

I have two text widgets which utilize this shortcode functionality. The left-most widget has [ecs-list-events cat=’Community’ limit=’3′]. The center widget has [ecs-list-events cat=’Chapter’ limit=’2′ venue=’true’].

The problem is that everything displays properly when I am logged in (as an admin), but if I am logged out, both text widgets display the contents from the first shortcode.

This started to happen when s2member was installed and activated.When s2member is deactivated, the problem goes away.

Shortcodes are simply a means of bringing in content from elsewhere, so I am guessing that the source of the second shortcode is somehow protected by s2Member even though the particular page on which the shortcode is embedded might not be.

I suggest going to Restriction Options-> Alternative View Protection and unchecking Filter ALL WordPress queries. Then go the the bottom and hit Save All Changes.

Then test for a logged-out user. If things now work, you can go back to Restriction Options-> Alternative View Protection and see which options you can check while still having things work as you wish. My guess is that you will only need to leave the top and bottom options unchecked, but it is just a guess.

Thanks for the reply, Tim. This led me down the right path. But the wackiness is not over yet!

If I uncheck the top box such that all are unchecked, then click Save All Changes, everything works. So now I know it has something to do with this. However, if I check everything, but not the top box, which seems to be simply a meta-selector for everything beneath it, everything still works. It’s only when the ‘Filter ALL WordPress queries’ box is checked, specifically, that things break.

Hmm, it certainly used to be the case that the All box added something that was not achieved by the others together (though I don’t recall now what that was) but that behavior was meant to have changed a couple of years ago.

I wouldn’t worry about it, though. Your settings are perfectly safe, and are actually a little more tightly drawn than I thought you’d have to make them.