Error Message "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page." on admin home only

I am having what I feel might be a unique issue…

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks and FINALLY discovered it was the S2 member plugin all along. My issue is when I deactivate the S2 member plugin I get this message: “Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page” when I try to login to my admin page. The issue resolves itself when I reactivate s2 member again. I want to be able to deactivate this without it causing my entire wp-admin login to disappear. It shows that the wp-admin files actually get deleted when S2 member is disabled. The reason I want to deactivate s2 member is because I found that this has also been giving me problems with my wp emails. None of my users have been able to receive their activation email when S2 member is installed. This specific issue resolved when I deactivated S2 member. So S2 member is causing me two very big issues right now- it won’t let me accept users and it won’t let me delete it:)

I appreciate any of your help to figure out how I can CLEANLY disable this plugin without it making my wordpress site go crazy.

Thank you!!!
Amie

You can resolve your email issues by using a plugin like s2Emails or Better Notifications for WordPress.

As for the inaccessibility of your admin pages when s2Member is deactivated, there’s no way that s2Member is causing that. If it’s off, it’s off. That sounds more like a caching issue, or something caused by a so-called security plugin.

This is the strangest thing I have EVER seen. I have to tell you, I have spent months and month trying to resolve this issue. Everything works fine with S2 member but as soon as I deactivate it, things go haywire. I can not log into wp-admin unless I have S2 member…it’s the only plugin on my site and all my other files have been checked and are fine. I wish it was a security plugin issue or a caching issue! Unfortunately all of that has been investigated and everything keeps pointing back to S2 member. Would you be so kind as to look into this issue on my website?

I had planned to purchase S2 member pro before I had the email issue and therefore decided to delete it (because that took me months before this to fix the email issue and I couldn’t get the support and I already tried the email plugins you suggested). If you will help me with this I will be more than happy to stay with S2 member, purchase your pro service, and find a way to make this plugin work- if you are willing to help. I am just at the end of what I can handle with this and no other web designer, web tech or my hosting company can understand how S2 member is doing this. I want to make this work but I need someone with an open mind to look into this further.

Thank you so much for your time and understanding on this issue,
Amie

Amie,

I’m certainly happy to try to troubleshoot this issue with you. It sounds very strange. But you need to know that I am just another s2Member user. I’m not one of the devs.

Of course, that also means that I have no financial stake in whether you buy the Pro version or not.

If you’d still like me to help, I suggest you PM me with details of how I can access your site.

But you might want to check first with your host that it isn’t doing some caching or applying .htaccess rules that might be causing this.

Tim,

Thank you so much for your response, I would be so grateful for your help. Because I am new on the forums I don’t think I am allowed to send personal messages, would you mind sending me a message to my inbox and maybe I can get back to you from there?

Thank you!!
Amie