Differentiate between renewers and non-renewers?

Hey everyone.

I’m trying to differentiate between expired members who have upgraded and those who have never upgraded so that I can send them different surveys as to why they didn’t upgrade.

I’m not sure if there is any way I can implement this now, retroactively, or if I need to set something up moving forward. I guess what I’m looking for is a role history and a way to inform my listserve so I can target a particular role history.

Forward thinking, the only thing I can come up with is to add a custom capability (something like “renewer”) to a particular membership pro-form. So then if the user becomes expired, I can see that at one point they renewed.

Any ideas or thoughts about this? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Gigi.

Yeah, I want to improve this as well. I think it’s important to have a history of each user.

For now, I’d probably use custom capabilities, as you mentioned. You’d just need to make sure that they aren’t removed on EOT, though. WP Admin > s2Member > PayPal Options > Auto EOT Behavior > Remove Custom Capabilities

Another option would be to use the Notifications API with a script, to update the lead in your email list if they upgrade. This approach may be the one with the highest potential for customizations. https://s2member.com/kb-article/building-an-api-notification-handler-webhook/

I don’t think you can do this retroactively with the data stored in your site. The Admin Notes in the user’s profile mention the demotion, but not from what level… You could from your payment gateway’s data, though.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

There also is “*s2member_access_cap_times” usermeta, it holds all the “in” and “out” times. Not so easy, but possible to use.

Thanks @clavaque and @krumch… I was looking at the s2member_access_cap_times usermeta but yeah, it’s not so easy to use :slight_smile:

Fortunately the numbers are small for the group of people I’m trying to differentiate between so I just looked at them manually. I’ll add a custom capability to the form for future reporting. And I look forward to any updates to s2member that improves user history!

1 Like