Demoted Capability

Hi! Is there an easy way to have users assigned a flag like a custom capability called “demoted” when they are demoted due to EOT or something similar?

It would be handy to show customized content (discounted prices etc) on the website or to send emails with offers to reinvite ex users etc.

1 Like

Yes, that’d be nice…

It could be done, but with some PHP. There isn’t a shortcode for that yet.

s2’s log for user’s access capabilities, keeps track of when the user gains and loses access caps. That can be checked to see if the user lost the cap, and show a message based on it.

The only shortcode that uses this user access caps log, is s2Drip. https://s2member.com/kb-article/s2drip-shortcode/

But s2Drip can’t be used as you described. It’s good for access caps the user has, not that he doesn’t have (i.e. never had, or had and lost).

This is an improvement I had thought of for the dripping feature, although I haven’t decided the specifics yet.

Have you thought how you’d like to be able to do that? Any examples you give or things you mention, may influence how I implement this.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be awesome!

It would be nice to have custom capabilities assigned.

Maybe a new field called “previous capabilities” where you dump all capabilities that a certain user had upon their demotion?

That would also be handy to use on Stripe forms, since a user can’t take a new subscription with a different currency than the one they had previously, for example (I assign eur/gbp/other currency codes as capabilities according to a subscription but that information is only useful for upgrades. not re-subscriptions).

Having a different “level” for ex subscribers could also be neat so we could filter them on our user list and use that information to message them (or we might be able to exclude those users if we only want to send emails with offers to people who were never subscribers to prevent cannibalization on customer acquisition) .

Being able to price things differently according to a user’s profile would be nice. I’d love to offer lower prices for users who helped me when I was starting the site, for example.

Yes, the drip can’t be used that way.

You are always very welcome to reach out if you need feedback or testing. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas!

I see, so it’s actually more than just being able to change some content based on the previous access. It’s not just the s2Drip, with the ability to time things based on a previous access.

Maybe a new field called “previous capabilities” where you dump all capabilities that a certain user had upon their demotion?

Do you mean in their profile?

That would also be handy to use on Stripe forms, since a user can’t take a new subscription with a different currency than the one they had previously, for example (I assign eur/gbp/other currency codes as capabilities according to a subscription but that information is only useful for upgrades. not re-subscriptions).

Could you elaborate on this? I’m not sure I get it fully.

Having a different “level” for ex subscribers could also be neat so we could filter them on our user list and use that information to message them (or we might be able to exclude those users if we only want to send emails with offers to people who were never subscribers to prevent cannibalization on customer acquisition) .

Are you talking about the List Server integration, so they’re moved into a different list of ex-customers?

Being able to price things differently according to a user’s profile would be nice. I’d love to offer lower prices for users who helped me when I was starting the site, for example.

The s2Drip with lost access, would help do this… Or an s2If that could check that, e.g. current_user_in_times_bygone_used_to_posses_the_capability_to(access_s2member_level1) :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, you can check (you’ll need PHP) the paid registration time, or time for a level (doesn’t work with capabilities), and if it’s not empty, you know he paid you before. WP Admin > s2Member > API / Scripting > s2Member Content Dripping

:slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Yes, on their profile, we could have “current capabilities” (the custom capabilities we already use) and we could have “previous capabilities” (a field where you dump/add any capability the user has when demoted, so we know they had those at some point, maybe also add expressions with the tier levels as well so we know a user was level 1, 2, 3 etc).

2. If a user pays with Stripe in Euros, then cancels, then subscribes again later on a different currency like USD they get an error message and are unable to proceed. Once a user uses one currency they can’t resubscribe using another (Stripe’s fault but users might not know and give up resubscribing because of it).

3. I mean like a user “type”. We have users on level 1, level 2, etc. We could have ex-level 1, ex-level 2 etc. So, if I want to send a mass email to all ex users I can, or if I want to only email users that never had a subscription, I can as well.

4. Thanks. I don’t know PHP yet, sadly (or I’d have handled that issue with your plugin not demoting delinquent users, still processing them manually, one by one, everyday… Same with bringing them “back to life” when they make late payments via Stripe and counting on users messaging me if they used paypal :grimacing:) …

Sorry I only saw your reply now. Thanks again!