Dedicated Hosting Suggestion for s2Member Podcast

I’m currently using 1and1, and have had plenty of issues getting my podcast / password protected feeds to work over the years. It all came down to how their servers were configured. Luckily, the s2Member staff was great with helping me with work-arounds.

Anyway, Paypal has new SSL/TLS requirements that will be implemented in the next few months and 1and1 is dragging their feet getting their servers to use the newer TLS protocol (they are usng 1.0 instead of 1.2)

I don’t want to risk 1and1 not updating in time for the change, so I’m thinking I want to move my site to a new server.
I would also like to avoid choosing a hosting company with weird/incompatible configurations that don’t play nice with S2member.

So, do you have any suggestions? Companies you’ve had a lot of success with? Looking to move to a VPS or dedicated server, and again, the whole purpose of the site is for a premium pay podcast, so it has to work well with remote-header / remote-authorization requests and podcast apps

I strongly recommend LightningBase. Full disclosure: that’s an affiliate link. Even fuller disclosure: I don’t usually do affiliate links (in fact, this is the only one I’ve ever done), but the customer service from Chris Piepho there is so outstanding that I really can’t see the point of attempting to stay neutral.

Unbiased testing puts Lightning Base in the premier league too, and at a significantly lower cost than competitors. See http://reviewsignal.com/blog/2015/07/28/wordpress-hosting-performance-benchmarks-2015/

But the results of that test came as no surprise to me. I run sites with 80+ plugins, including s2Member, and pages load in well under a second even on first visit. Yesterday, I upgraded all my sites to PHP 7 (and LB even enables you to choose which modules you want loaded), and today I got an email from Chris Piepho telling me that they’re just about to start moving sites to http/2-enabled servers.

@KTS915

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to move my biggest site there and give it a try. I’ve saved your affiliate link for when I do that. :wink:

Did you manage to solve this? What was it about the way they configured their server? I’m having trouble getting this feature working and have no idea what might be causing the problem.