Customizing Forgot Password

In s2member the Forgot Password page appears to be just the WordPress standard forgot password page with the s2member logo … so having laboriously tweaked s2member to match my theme more-or-less perfectly, is this the one thing that can’t be customized as part of the s2member plugin?

Hi Mark.

The Lost Password page is part of wp-login.php, and you can customize a bit its look from here: WP Admin > s2Member > General Options > Login/Registration Design

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

How disappointing. You handle all aspects of registration except for Lost Password … that’s a serious oversight. When do you plan to finish the product?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Did you try customizing the wp-login.php design from the page I pointed you to? Although it says Login/Registration in the title, it’s the wp-login.php page, including the Lost Password feature. WP Admin > s2Member > General Options > Login/Registration Design

What do you feel is missing in s2Member? I’d love more details to take it into account as a feature request. :slight_smile:

Yes, I tried the customization you suggested but as wp-login.php doesn’t use my theme it’s hardly a solution to just change the logo and some fonts. My site uses the s2member login shortcode and so the login page looks this … which is consistent with my theme (which is the Divi Extra theme).

My forgot password page with a new logo is here and you can see that the forgot password page doesn’t look like my theme looks at all. You need to create a shortcode for forgot password.

Also, you have a bug in your media library popup under Login/Registration Design, see here..

My biggest complaint about s2member (other than the lack of a forgot password shortcode) concerns theme support. For example, on the login page there are, by default, section headings which render in a different font than the section contents. I preferred to not have the headings at all because they are both necessary and ugly) so I CSS’ed them out.

The golden rule for plugins should be do not usurp the theme styling at all or, if you have some reason to do so (and I can’t imagine any for the majority of plugins), make sure that all of the elements have easily identifiable IDs so the styling can be easily changed.

1 Like

Thank you, Mark! They’re great points and I’ve added them to my list.

I understand now what you meant about the Lost Password tool: you’d like one that you can include in your site, just as the login or registration forms, so they user never has to go to wp-login.php. Is that correct?

In that case, there may be a plugin that adds just that and solves your need: e.g. https://wordpress.org/plugins/frontend-reset-password/

:slight_smile: