Custom Capabilities

We use custom capabilites to sell access to specific videos and video packages.
Several of our users have recently reported a glitch with being able to access their purchased resources. Despite them having purchased access and being given the appropriate custom capability, they get directed to the membership option page. This isn’t occurring all the time but on a frequent, intermittent basis. Could you help offer some insight into why this may be?

If you can get someone to tell you the full URL they see when redirected to the MOP, and then paste that here (you can leave out the domain if you prefer) it would be much easier to help.

Hi there,

it’s taken me awhile to get someone to send me the full URL when this issue occurs.
membership-options/?_s2member_vars=ccap…ccap…allparta…page…11485…L3Jlc3BpcmF0b3J5LXBoeXNpb2xvZ3ktMS13ZWJpbmFyLW5ldy1wYWNrYWdlLw%3D%3D&_s2member_sig=1510833255-190414fe5ce7991d4ab7f0bf78961b68#

Usually the correct page loads normally when the browser is refreshed however the issue is still occurring.

It looks like you are protecting page 11485 with a ccap called allparta. Is that correct?

Yes, that’s correct. We sell access to videos through custom capabilities. The people who are having the trouble have the correct access but sometimes that’s not being registered

Is they logged in while they try to access that page? If WP logs them out, s2M can’t recognize them, so will point them to membership option page.

Yes, they are logged in and refreshing the page mutliple times usually allows it to work in the end but we need it to work the first time for them

This sounds to me like a caching issue. At the very least, it sounds like something else on your site is causing a conflict.

I did wonder if it was a caching issue but we don’t use caching plugins. it’s done through our Web hosting. I’ll contact them tomorrow and see if they can help. Thanks for your replies

Caching can not be at hosting, but in your/their Internet provider too… There was a way to set some page to be “never cached”, but can’t remember right now…

Thank you, but we use wpEngine who do the caching. I have been in contact with them and they have taken caching off the relevant pages however we are still having this issue where users are being directed to the membership options page when they have access to the videos and are logged in. Does anyone have any further ideas what might be causing this?

Karyn, your latest reply suggests a subtly different problem than the one you initially reported. Is the problem concerned with accessing a page or accessing a video? Those are not the same thing.

sometimes it’s both. The issue isn’t consistent. Sometimes they can’t access the page that lists the videos and sometimes they can access the page but not videos on the page but all are protected with the same custom capability

Can you paste an example of the link to videos that you’re using?

Sorry, I’m confusing myself and matters here. all of our videos are on pages on the website. this is an example of a link to a page that has a video protected by ccap https://www.bromleyemergency.com/part-webinars-anatomy-abdomen/ so it is the pages the users can’t open as they keep being redirected to the mop.
Our hosting has all but ruled out a caching issue as the issue occurs on our staging (development) site which doesn’t have server side caching active on it. We have deactived plugins and changed the theme to check for a conflict but the same issue occurs

It sounds then like you have applied more than one method of protecting each page, yet haven’t assigned all of them to your members. So a member then gets defeated by the restriction to which s/he doesn’t have access.

Hi,
There is only one method of protection applied. This was the first thing that I checked. My hosting, who is looking into this also has come across the following article and asked me to share it with you for thoughts,

https://www.s2member.com/codex/stable/s2member/translations/c_ws_plugin__s2member_translations/

They have suggested this could have something to do with the issue but they’re not sure. Any thoughts?

I don’t know what your host is thinking. That function enables strings of text to be changed. I can’t see how it could have any bearing on this.

Are you sure you aren’t protecting pages by both a level and a ccap?

Yes, absolutely positive