CCAPS not getting set

How could this happen?

We’ve recently added ccaps to all of our checkout pages (PayPal Pro Forms) - these pages have been running for 6 years no problems and the ccaps are getting added most of the time ~ but for about 20-30% of purchases they are not getting added (I feel like I should add some exclamation points here but I’ll refrain).

Here is what logging says for a successful transaction:

For the user who did a test:

[item_number] => 2:level_1,level_2,level_3

[ccaps] => level_1,level_2,level_3

And, here is what the log reports for a failed transaction (no ccaps set):

[item_number] => 2

[ccaps] =>

This just seems impossible that a simple line of text would get lost.

I’ll paste the shortcode here just for fun:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form modify=“1” level=“2” ccaps=“level_1,level_2,level_3” desc=“Semantica Portuguese Monthly” ps=“semantica” lc="" cc="%%PRICE_MONTHLY_CURRENCY%%" dg=“0” ns=“1” custom=“www.semantica-portuguese.com|en” ta=“0” tp=“0” tt=“D” ra="%%PRICE_MONTHLY_30%%" rp=“1” rt=“M” rr=“1” rrt="" rra=“2” accept=“paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo” accept_via_paypal=“paypal” coupon="" accept_coupons=“0” default_country_code="" captcha=“0” success="/success-upgrade/?type=monthly-upgrade&user_email=%%user_email%%&currency=%%PRICE_MONTHLY_30_CURRENCY%%&price=%%PRICE_MONTHLY_30%%"/]

BTW the code delimited by the “%%” is for variable pricing and currency. The pricing and currency is inserted dynamically depending on users location.

We’ve had one user that did not get ccaps set repeat his purchase as a test (not easy asking a customer to go back and repeat their purchase but we did….) and got the same result (no ccaps set).

We’ve been unable to repeat the failure ourselves so, seems like some mysterious other factor involved here but… for the life of me I cannot imagine how anything could interfere with the passing of this text, can you? Anyone have any wild ideas?