Cannot get the s2Stream shortcode to work

Hi

I have set up Amazon S3 and Cloudfront and run tests and all is working fine.
I can view mp4, pdf, png etc.

I then tried using the s2Stream shortcodes to stream video and all that gets displayed on the page is the code itself.
(This is done in the text editor not the visual one)

I have tried both version 6 and 7 of JW Player and have changed the player path folder name to match s2Member sample URLs. I have tested the path and it finds the javascript file.

This is on a ‘vanilla’ WP installation with the default template installed.
The only other plugin activated is WordFence.

A sample of the shortcodes I am testing:

[s2Stream player=“jwplayer-v7-rtmp” player_path="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js" player_key="##########################" file_download=“big.mp4” /]

I have tried re-pasting and creating new pages etc. but it only ever shows the code itself. Is this because I need to wait 24 hours before CloudFront is ready or something?

Can anyone help?

I don’t know about how to get JW PLayer working because I don’t use it. But the very mention of “Wordfence” gives me shivers. It’s a plugin with a great PR team, but they haven’t got a clue about security. So the first thing I do when troubleshooting a site with Wordfence is to deactivate it and clear all caches.

If it’s showing code on a page/post something isn’t right on your site. If it were a amazon issue you should still see the black jwplayer with some sort of error. Make sure the code is clean no interfering rogue characters touching, missing quotation marks, space etc.

Disable plugins load them back one by one etc. see issue. Probably a pesky small error.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks very much for your response.

I have just discovered the issue with the code displaying - very silly mistake!
I had copied and pasted the code in notepad which had word-wrap on. This put an invisible line break in the pasted code in the editor. This was not obvious at all, as it occurred at a natural point for the code to wrap in the WP editor as well.

That cost me a great deal of frustration and time!

Problem solved now and video is showing and playing mp4. However, RTMP is showing an error but it could be because it has not been 24 hours since setting up the CloudFront services. I will check again tomorrow.

Best regards,

Paul.

1 Like

Wow, what makes you think that they don’t have a clue?
My impression is quite the opposite, both from using their plugin, reading their blog and having experienced their super professional suppport.

There are plenty of reasons. But this link should start you off: https://www.whitefirdesign.com/blog/2017/11/13/unlike-wordfence-we-fully-guarantee-our-hack-cleanups-of-wordpress-websites/

Hm, that’s like having Apple review Windows or the other way round. Not exactly objective, is it :slight_smile:
I don’t use Wordfence Pro to get my website cleaned. I used it to prevent it from getting hacked.
I had my site hacked once, and asked a developer for a world class software company for advice. He recommended Wordfence and I had never problems again. Even if there have been plenty of attempts.
That said, like with Apple and Wordpress, we have personal preferences so I’m not trying to convince you - just sharing my experience. :slight_smile:

Are you saying that someone can never make an accurate statement about a competitor? That’s just silly.

All you need to do is evaluate each of the statements made there for yourself. Is any of them untrue?

The answer is that they are all accurate. (You’ll note that I voiced my own criticism on this thread months before the blog post to which I linked was posted.)

Maybe you don’t feel you have the expertise to judge whether those statements are true. That’s exactly what Wordfence’s PR relies on.

Here’s a classic example. Wordfence either doesn’t know the difference between a brute force attack and a dictionary attack or (more likely) it does but claims that the latter is the former because a bit of a scare is great PR to get people to buy their wares. So if someone installs Wordfence, which says that the site is experiencing a brute force attack, but that Wordfence is keeping the site safe, then users feel that the plugin is doing a great job and is worth every penny. But the plugin isn’t really doing anything useful at all because the hack attempt is a dictionary attack, and that will never work if you have a strong password. So Wordfence essentially makes itself sound good by lying.

That’s actually similar to how I came to try it, though it wasn’t a site I own.There had been a massive hack from Eastern Europe, and the advice I received was to install Wordfence both to help clean everything up and to prevent future such hacks. But Wordfence then gave me false positives all over the place and provided advice that didn’t address the issues at all. It wasted days of my time for no reason.

So I got rid of it, and did my own security mitigations instead. That site is still regularly targeted by hackers in Russia and Ukraine – sometimes for days on end. But they are using dictionary attacks, so have no chance of getting in, and I know I don’t have to go in and fiddle uselessly with meaningless settings to achieve nothing at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate that and your time.
That said, my focus lies elsewhere (not in the technical side of things), so I will rest my case, focus on what truly is my work and purpose and see how things unfold otherwise in terms of the technical aspects.