Bug with yearly subscription from monthly

Hi there,

We have a membership site where most of our members are on monthly plans. We have set up yearly plans that they can switch to. If they are currently on a monthly plan and then go and purchase a yearly plan while logged in, it does not cancel the initial plan.

We are using Stripe.

Example: We tested with a $1 monthly plan that trials for 30 days and then renews again for $1. We purchased the $1 plan and everything worked properly. We then went and purchased a yearly plan a few minutes later while logged into that account for $89. It shows the next invoice still as $1 in a month and shows two active subscriptions.

All subscriptions are set for renewals.Here are the short codes.

[s2Member-Pro-Stripe-Form level=“3” ccaps="" desc=“30 Days @ $1.00 / then $1 USD / Monthly (recurring charge, for ongoing access)” cc=“USD” custom=“OURWEBSITE” ta=“1.00” tp=“30” tt=“D” ra=“1” rp=“1” rt=“M” rr=“1” coupon="" accept_coupons=“0” default_country_code=“US” captcha=“0” /]

[s2Member-Pro-Stripe-Form level=“3” ccaps="" desc=“4 Person - 12 Month Unlimited Membership” cc=“USD” custom=“OURWEBSITE” ta=“0” tp=“0” tt=“D” ra=“89.00” rp=“1” rt=“Y” rr=“1” coupon="" accept_coupons=“0” default_country_code=“US” captcha=“0” /]

Please help

EDIT UPDATE 1: If I manually cancel the $1 subscription from within Stripe, everything becomes set correctly and the invoice for $89 shows a year from now.

Has anyone else had an issue with this?

I see. Hmm…

Could you please enable logging and reproduce the behavior? WP Admin > s2Member > Log Files

Screenshot_2019-11-11%20s2Member%20Logs%20%E2%80%B9%20s2Member%20Membership%20Plugin%20for%20WordPress%20%E2%80%94%20WordPress

Could you show me the relevant entries from all the log files?

Did you also test with a subscription modification pro-form? WP Admin > s2Member > Stripe Forms > Billing Modification

I look forward to your update. :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting back to me, Cristian. I will get the relevant log files shortly. Are they safe to publicly post here or should I email them?

For modification, If they are staying as the same level, how does that form look as all options look to be an upgrade or dowgrade of some sort?

Some log entries can have sensitive information. Better to review them and edit out details that are personal when posting in public. You can send me the log entries privately via message here or email.

Test out the modification form to see how it behaves and if it’s what you need.

:slight_smile:

Hey Cristian, just checking to see if you ever found a solution to this. I have the same issue when someone upgrades from a monthly recurring account to a bulk subscription (3, 6 or 12 months non recurring) their monthly subscription isn’t automatically canceled like it always had been before. I ran a big sale on Black Friday and many people purchased bulk subscriptions. Now I am starting to get emails that they were billed again for their monthly subscriptions this month. Thank you!

Hi Carl.

Thanks for chiming in. Any additional info you can provide will help narrow down the source of the problem.

Could you tell me, from one of those users that had the issue, what his WP profile says for the subscr ID? Does it match the new one-time charge, or the active subscription?

Could you enabled logging and reproduce the behavior with a test user and purchases (50 cents is fine), and show me the relevant entries from all the log files? Bug with yearly subscription from monthly

I look forward to your update so we can resolve this!

:slight_smile:

Hey Cristian, sorry for the slow response. I have been having a very busy couple of days.

In any case, I can’t find any sub ID info in my stripe dashboard. I can find the Customer ID number though.

I can enable debugging like I did last time, however, I am not sure how to get you the log files that you need. I think last time I just gave you admin access so you can find the info you needed. And of course, you fixed it very quickly. :slight_smile:

I am currently running a sale so we can see how this works in real world application. But I am guessing that leaving debug mode on waiting for new customers that already have a monthly account isn’t a great idea?

In any case, if you are available just let me know and I will enable debug mode and give you the admin access like before. Then I will create a monthly subscription and a bulk subscription and purchase them back-to-back so you can see what happens.

The stripe dashboard has recently changed and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Thanks! Carl…

I’m having the same issue. I was using a cancellation button first before having users upgrade for many years. This started failing about the same time as others on this post. Just switched to using Billing Modification forms (Stripe) and it appears as though the issue continues. Glad to see it’s not just me. I have also noticed that when I manually cancel the duplicate payment / subscription and refund through Stripe, it cancels their active membership as well. I make sure to cancel the correct subscription - the one not tied to their account - and still it cancels the active subscription. It almost seems as though the subscriptions are now tied to the Customer ID instead of the Subscription ID in Stripe. I know that Stripe has been up to some things - changing their interface, app, etc. I wonder if they have also changed how they handle subscriptions through s2member. Has anyone resolved this? I have angry customers and more to follow.

You now have to click on the subscription and find the subscription ID in the upper right hand corner. It is very wonky now to handle things in Stripe.