BuddyPress "Free Subscriber" Capability Upgrade Failing

I’m loving s2Member for restricting my BuddyPress membership site.

I use the Kleo theme

My site is open to the public to join at the “Free Subscriber” level.

I use the themes BuddyPress registration form to subscribe members.
https://disciplesus.com/register/

Once in the site I want to present a form to the user on a s2Member restricted page that will allow the member to modify their account to add a capability.

I followed the instructions here

The problem is that when I add the s2Member Form Shortcode to the protected page the form is non functioning and does not display the correct fields. Likewise, the members credentials are not populated in the form as expected from reading the KB article above.

This “bad” behavior is the same on protected pages and non-protected pages.

Here is what the broken form looks like.

I can confirm that pages CAN be protected my s2member with any Level or capability. Likewise all conditional shortcodes work fine to protect content on the page.

SO the real issue is the forms are not working so I can’t even test if my members can upgrade.

Also of note I see the following errors in the console when loading the page, indicating to me that s2Member is having trouble loading a style sheet and script.

s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_js_w_globals=9c24e851de72a9fd4e6d828c5c6e2686&qcABC=1&ver=170221-170221-1320282156	403	script	(index):1550	0 B	424 ms	

s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_css=1&qcABC=1&ver=170221-170221-1320282156	403	stylesheet	(index):106	0 B	869 ms	

Maybe one of you super smart people can shed light on this issue and provide guidance on how I can resolve this problems.

I can provide admin access if needed.

I would be ever so grateful for your assistance.

Richard

Have you checked the Developer Console for errors? Press {F12} anywhere on the page and then click the Console tab. Please copy & paste any errors to your response and don’t send a screenshot. I have very poor vision and cannot adjust the size of an image and have the text remain readable. (Your screenshot, for example, is mostly a blur to me.) Thanks in advance.

Hello Pat

Thank you for the email.

I have included the console errors here.

Error parsing header X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block, 1; mode=block: expected semicolon at character position 14. The default protections will be applied.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 () https://disciplesus.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugi…bals=face40bb8ea442c66c088348d99992c0&qcABC=1&ver=170221-170221-1320282156 

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 () https://disciplesus.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_css=1&qcABC=1&ver=170221-170221-1320282156 

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 () https://disciplesus.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member/s2member-o.php?ws_plugin__s2member_css=1&qcABC=1&ver=170221-170221-1320282156 

Thank you VERY MUGHT for your insight.

Richard

A 403 error can mean many things. I was going to just say I think it is a permissions problem, but I tested a Free Subscriber Pro-Form on one of my own sites and I’m getting the same error even when I give Read/Write/Execute permissions to everyone. I don’t have time to troubleshoot this in-depth and submit a GitHub issue right now, but I’ll do it by Monday. I already know it is not affecting ALL Pro-Forms, so I need to do some work to figure out which ones it is affecting before reporting it.

Note that I don’t have BuddyPress on the site I tested this on, so it isn’t a BuddyPress issue.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Pat D.

Thank you for looking into this issue. I sincerely appreciate your effort and knowledge.

Over the weekend I experimented with disabling plugins on my site in hopes to find a conflict.

Unfortunately nothing that I did made any difference in the free capability upgrade form remaining non-functioning.

Hopefully we can uncover the cause of the issue and return it to working for everyone.

Many thanks for your continued assistance.

Richard

I opened a GitHub issue about this problem here: https://github.com/websharks/s2member/issues/1086.

It would be helpful if you could comment on the issue. You can also subscribe to the issue to be kept informed about any changes.

Raam Dev, one of the s2Member developers, believes this is a mod security issue. My web hosting provider is looking into this possibility. I am not convinced that this is the problem because the URL on my test site has no parameters, let alone ?s2member parameters as described in the linked KBA. I’ll keep you updated.

Spent some time with Siteground’s wonderful tech support folks. In my case, the 500 error was coming from bad permissions. I didn’t set them back correctly on the s2Member directory after I’d finished testing. The 403 errors were coming from allowing iThemes Security to filter suspicious query strings and non-English characters in URLs. When those lines were commented out of .htaccess all was well.

If you are running iThemes Security just disable those settings. If you are using another security plugin, check to see if they do anything similar and disable those settings. If you are not running a security plugin, talk to your web hosting provider. Hopefully, you are using someone at least as good as Siteground. Good luck.