Blocking a user without deleting the record

Is there a way to prevent a user from logging into their account, without having to delete the record?

It’s useful to retain the data and associated notes, which would otherwise be lost?

Thanks.

Brian

Hi Brian.

s2Member doesn’t have something for bans like that…

My approach, lacking a plugin that gives it specifically, would probably be to change the account’s email address and password so he loses access and can’t recover it.

:slight_smile:

Thanks Cristián

Actually, I’ve always changed the email address. However, I was informed by a user today that the system sends the user a message to alert them to the fact the email address has been changed, which can look like their data has been hacked. That’s what prompted my message.

There does appear to be a couple of plugins for this purpose. But they’ve not had many downloads and they aren’t current, so I’m reluctant to use them.

Thanks again for your help - this doesn’t happen very often, so I’ll just live with it.

Have a lovely weekend.

Brian

1 Like

Gotcha. Didn’t know about that notification. Didn’t think it’d notify, since it’s the admin doing it.

Yeah, I would also be reluctant, unless I take the time to review its code.

Thank you! You have a great weekend, too! :slight_smile:

Brian, why not just custom develop some code? I can do it for you, if you need. Let me know. :slight_smile: I know exactly how I would do it. and it would automate it for you, and be easy to block anyone.

Easy with S2Member :wink:

Well, of course there’s also the option of protecting content at level 0, and then give him a role that has no s2 access capabilities.

That’s definitely worth exploring Cristián, thanks. I’ll have a play.

And thanks Richard for your offer.

1 Like

I’d probably change the email address or other info directly in the db.

1 Like

Try changing the role to ‘No Role For This Site’. This worked for many of our clients.

1 Like

Thanks Sonja, that’s brilliant. It worked a treat. Simple and effective.

You’re a star.

Thanks.

Brian

2 Likes

I didn’t know about that role, so thanks. It’s been out for a while. I would be feeling bad if WP and PHP were my main thing, but it looks like that only blocks access to the admin area.

I’ve never given that to anyone that I didn’t know personally and wouldn’t have a face to face conversation with before taking it away so IDK how that helps.

Since WP added it I guess folks give admin access to people they don’t really trust and, instead of talking about it, they need a role to cut off access?

Since s2 can allow anonymous WP registrations, the entire system is built on granting access instead of taking it away.

More access is granted based on roles and s2 provides a way for visitors to pay for roles and get more access.

So, in a system where least access is default that grants access on payments, etc., where is the reason to cut off permissions like this?

That WP role can work, but if you’re already that paranoid why not mangle the login credentials so the user doesn’t even get that far?

It just sounds like someone you trusted that you don’t anymore and not really an s2 concern.