Best way to sell a PDF

Hi there,

I’m reading up about selling a PDF eBook to non-customers, ie not members but want to purchase a book.

Is the best way to create a button that links to a proform, with custom capabilities, then have a success on sign up redirect to the page where they can download the doc? Question, after paying via stripe or PayPal, are they already logged in, or do they have to login? If they have to login this will break the process as I have a members dashboard page which all members log into.

I haven’t really been able to find a step by step guide anywhere.

Hi Andrew.

After signup, login isn’t automatic. There is a hack that makes this possible, though: https://s2member.com/kb-article/auto-login-on-registration/

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Is there an easier way to sell a PDF?

Process should be: click on a button in a post - pro form to purchase with ccaps - redirect user to success page (protected) to download.

Or how does the inline thing work?

So you want to do it without having the user register an account? Then the Specific Post access may work for you.

Then then when you link to the protected file from that page, you’d need to use s2File with the access key. WP Admin > s2Member > Download Options > Advanced Download Restrictions

E.g. [s2File download="example-file.zip" download_key="true" /]

When s2member_file_download_key = a valid Key, it works independently from Member Level Access. That is, a visitor does NOT have to be logged in to receive access; they just need a valid Key. Using this advanced technique, you could extend s2Member’s file protection routines, or even combine them with Specific Post/Page Access

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Hi there,

This is exactly what I need. The only issue is that I have put the post ID into the restricted post section and pressed save. However whenever I try and generate a button or pro-form, nothing is shown. Why would this happy?

If there are no Posts/Pages in the menu for the button, it’s because you’ve not configured s2Member for Specific Post/Page Access yet. See: WP Admin > s2Member > Restriction Options > Specific Post/Page Access

I just tested it and verified that it works fine. After protecting a specific post, I could see it listed in the button/pro-form generator.

:slight_smile:

To configure it I have to put the post id into the restricted box, right?

What am I missing?

I have also noticed that the page is being protected correctly, so why wouldn’t it show up when I try and generate a button/pro-form?

That is correct. And then save the changes.

So you’ve done that, and the ID is there in the restriction, right? When you go to the button/proform editor, you don’t get it in the dropdown selector?

That is right, nothing is listed.

I just created another page called Test page restriction and it shows up in the list. Could it be related to a long page name?

Update: I created the page again and imported the landing page and now it works. Not sure what happened with the other page. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Yeah, it’s strange. I don’t know… Only thing I can think of, is that maybe you had not reloaded the shortcode generator’s page after protecting the page, but I doubt that’s the case.

I’m glad you sorted it out. :slight_smile:

Page builders can also add uncertainty to the mix. Whether it’s Thrive (like you’re using), Beaver Builder, Elementor, etc., they all do magic behind the scenes with the code and can unintentionally mess things up.

When that happens starting again is a great solution.

Everything is great now, and I have worked out the S2member secure file location thingy.

1 Like

That’s great! Thank you for the update. :slight_smile: