AWS date stamp is off question

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to a new server on inmotion hosting and migrated my site to the new server. Downloads worked at first but now I am getting a response from amazon on the date time being off.

This is the message I am getting and I am not sure where to go to resolve it.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

AuthorizationQueryParametersError

Invalid credential date “20170908”. This date is not the same as X-Amz-Date: “20170909”.

AD4DD81906BEEB3B

hDvAtqvM09pEA+sqmhVXyvqabPp3IrWhuRkTa6yAxD5wmvvGEIl3CGaAXfAClnYk732rZBVjIk4=

( function(){ window.SIG_EXT = {}; } )()

Any help would be awesome on this.

Ross Waters

I have updated my time on the php server using php.ini to correct it with Amazons current date and time but still no joy.

My site still is asking for the files using the date 20170908 when Word Press is stating that is 20170909.

Still looking for answers if anyone has any ideas.

Ross Waters

Have you tried asking Amazon? They must have come across this before.

Hi
Out of this scope, do you think amazon s3is inexpensive solution comparing to other video hostings and cdn’s?

It is an Inmotion hosting issue and they will not resolve it for me because it affects the whole cluster that I am on. It has made me start on a Linode server, I think I am done with hosting providers. My site that is on a CentOS 7 VPS server that is 5 dollars a month is stupid fast and has made me realize I just need to make the switch. Wait times on all the services I have been on to date with s2Member sites has been 1-2 seconds between SQL look ups even on PHP 7. The Linode server is running php 5.6 currently and it is consistently at 32ms to 120ms per lookup making my slowest page in 1.5 seconds to load.

I just have a few more thing to do with the server then I will make it live so I am considering this a dead post.

Ross

I do, they are very affordable and keep getting cheaper and your hosting won’t get after you with all the traffic because your hosting doesn’t see it. If you do Videos you need to set up your files on Amazon Cloudfront servers, their version of CDN. That will cost you more in the long run than just S3 but it is faster than everyone else. If you are not global than S3 is good enough but if you are in other countries you will want to enable Cloudfront for those territories. We pay more for Australia, Japan etc. but we have member in over 100 countries so we use it for all locations.

If you do host it you can use something like Flow Player to host them with your s2Member ccaps and or levels.

If you do host your own videos, one thing that can help is to get an application that can download YouTube videos. Upload your file as “Private” to them wait 6 hours. Then download what you placed on their site. A good app is 5KPlayer and it is free. The trick here is that YouTube has converted the file for you as an online video file with the best quality with the lowest bandwidth. We shoot only 60FPS content and we can stream HD 60P with no issues. Our new server can also handle (We tried it) but we are limited to 1TB of traffic per-month and video can eat that up quickly. Amazon is still a cheaper solution and a lot of companies that you can pay to host your videos also use Amazon on their backend.

We have bought over 50 programs to render our videos for us in an online way that looks good and YouTube files are smaller and look way better than all the apps we have bought so we quit looking for one to do what we need. We upload MTS H264 in Dolby Digital 5.1 (Format BluRays use) to YoutTube and they handle everything for us better than we can loacaly you just have to do another step on the internet.

If you want happy customers and do want to host your own then integrating Amazon is almost a must.

Hope this helps you out,
Ross

Hi Ross thanks for your reply. I have some additional questions for you:

• How much AWS costs monthly for you?
  • How do you cap your monthly bills on AWS? If you set your billing alarm, how can you switch the service off when the determined billing amount reached?
  • We cannot upload our adult videos into youtube because youtube doesnt allows adult. However AWS does.
  • How do you limit your AWS downloads and streamings(viewers)? I know there is S2member download restriction option. But what if I just put the S3 files urls into our posts with embed codes and make them public and some people expose it on the internet? This would be much more expensive and if somebody ddos it it would make thousands of dollars of bill in a month which I dont want.
  • We have some videos on our servers too. I would like to serve them also with “local” s2member shortcode and serve s3 videos with “s3” shortcode. How can I do that?

I don’t know anything about your market target but you would need to lock down your videos if you do not want people to download them.

We do not limit users from views as this only angers those that paid for the service. Using s2Member and Flow Player on Amazon makes it hard for them to download or even see the video file stream. There are many settings you can do to make it so users can’t steal your video and share them using s2Member and Amazon. The basics are lock your S3 bucket down so only the user you created for the file access has rights. s2Member handles all the authentications for you and if someone shares a link Amazon will not spool it to the user. If they try to access it from a link in s2Member then your user account will prevent the download and take them to a page you set up letting them know they are not logged in or they do not have access.

I am sure with all the services out there you could find something like YouTube in your market that does the same thing.

Cost, It depends on how much you store on them, your transfers and others. We do not monitor it too closely but every time someone views something they can’t download you will pay for it. About 20% of our users re download stuff they have already downloaded, I am guessing because they lost it or are just unorganized. Videos will cost the most and I would think in your industry pretty high. For every 10GBs of data transfer on S3 it is basically a dollar, If you have a 10 minute video at 300MBs and 35 users view it only once expect to pay 1 dollar. If one viewer looks at the 300MB file 35 times expect again 1 dollar. That is for US customers only on S3, Cloudfront is much higher and in the Singapore reign it will be the highest on average. You can however limit your Cloudfront to only a few territories.

It’s not free but it is preferred if doing video streaming. You might want to look into content licensing where they download the video to play locally but it is limited to one device.

I am thinking most site like the one you are doing, host from their own servers. I see that almost every hosting company says that it is against hosting that kind of content.

Likely time to ssh into your machine.

Ensure the default time is set correctly + NTP is running to keep your time correctly set.

Simple script I use to set timezone on all new LXD containers I setup for hosting clients…

#!/bin/bash

# 2017-07-01: Added: Only bounce ntp if ntpd installed

set -x

TZ="US/Central"

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/$TZ /etc/localtime

service cron restart
which ntpd >/dev/null && service ntp restart

Then check your WordPress timezone setting, to ensure both system + WordPress timezone settings match.

Hi David,

Its a cloud hosting service I am on, not a VPS and I do not have root access to that system. It is the reason I am moving to Linode and building a CentOS 7 system there.

I changed the shared zone info when I first noticed that my time on the server was off by -7 hours PST but Amazon uses UTC and the server cluster I am on is set at -7 UTC. This is where the SQL server spools the date and time from and UTC is the master clock for the whole server I am on. This causes Amazon to change dates at 5PM PST while the cluster doesn’t change dates until Midnight PST based on the sub systems UTC time. Basically whom ever set up their cloud servers thought that UTC was the same as PST. I knew they wouldn’t be able to change that because it would affect thousands of their users. I don’t know who set up there virtual farm there but wow, biggest fail any system admin could do. And on top of that they can’t be running NTP services because that would have fixed it by default so I am not sure what is off there cause they had to have made many mistakes during their their farm build. This one thing alone has made me not trust their abilities moving forward.

InMotion told me the only way to correct this was to move to a VPS and for their prices on that I am just moving to my own server. I have yet to find a hosting service that was any good, they are only as good as their least knowledgeable employee and sometime he or she becomes a system administrator.

Thanks for your help though John, had I not known this it may have been a lifesaver but as it is UTC is deeper than my users abilities on InMotion.

Ross