Assistance Setting Up Membership Levels and Limitations in s2Member

Hi everyone,

I am setting up a membership site using s2Member & i am running into some challenges with configuring membership levels & content restrictions; i want to create multiple membership tiers, each offering different access levels to specific content on my site; I am having trouble ensuring that certain pages and files are restricted properly for different member levels.

I want to allow Level 1 members to access general content, while only Level 3 members can access premium resources. The settings seem to be overlapping, and some content is either too restricted or not restricted enough.

Can anyone suggest me on how to fine tune the membership level permissions & restrictions?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!As well, I found these resources when doing research on this; https://forums.wpsharks.com/t/how-to-set-membership-lever-for-users-in-the-process-of-registrationminitab & if anyone have any resources, tutorials or personal experiences please share with me, It would be greatly appreciated!!

You can use conditionals inside pages or if you want to block entire pages you can set the minimum level that is allowed to open it.

It can be a good practice to have a couple of blocks delimiting an area for non premium users where they can see something that tells them to upgrade (or even buttons or a pro form to allow them to do that right there, the smallest friction you can offer the better).

Then, another segment for members that “can” access a level 2, 3 or whatever you define for that piece of content (you can have multiple tiers with access to a different set of content).

This page might be helpful: https://s2member.com/kb-article/s2if-simple-shortcode-conditionals/

My advice is to never block access to the entire page if you can, instead, have information that only invites potential users to upgrade to see what’s inside.

1 Like

I have not been involved with s2Member lately but you might look at is the WP addon called IF MENU which can restict menu choices based upon levels.

I also use the page restictions to deny access based upon s2Member level.

Here’s some code to display the correct menu depending on whether a user is logged in or not. The menus MainMenu and MainMenu_LoggedIn need to be created in the usual way within Wordpress. It should be fairly easy to adapt this to different user levels. Just pop the code in your themes functions.php file.

function wp_nav_menu_function($args = '')
{
        if (is_user_logged_in()) {
                $args['menu'] = 'MainMenu_LoggedIn';
        } else {
                $args['menu'] = 'MainMenu';
        }
        return $args;
}
add_filter('wp_nav_menu_args', 'wp_nav_menu_function');