Amazon S3 region bug?

I’ve been testing s2Member integration with Amazon S3 and thought the following might be useful to others…

Being in Australia, I setup Amazon S3 bucket region to Sydney and s2Member to sp-southeast-2 to match. However, I was getting some errors when linking the files…

1. S3 notified of a region error (expecting us-east-1, when sp-southeast-2 was provided)
  2. If I changed the s2member settings to us-east-1, I’d then get a signature match error from Amazon S3.
  3. If I directly went to the bucket folder in my browser as the s2member notes suggest (your-bucket-name.s3.amazonaws.com/), I wasn’t getting Access Denied, I was getting Bucket Not Found.

It appears that s2member assumes that all S3 buckets can be referenced from your-bucket-name.s3.amazonaws.com/. This is not the case, as my bucket isn’t found there but is at sp-southeast-2.s3.amazonaws.com/your-bucket-name/

While not a solution for other regions, the quick fix is to setup your bucket in us-east-1 (Virginia) and changing the s2member region to us-east-1 and it works successfully (without changing IAM keys or anything else).

Hope that helps others trying to do the same, and the developers too. :slight_smile: