Add payment method question?

Hi All,

I recently bought the pro member plugin last month,

On our site we have members who were manually added.
One thing we are confused about is how they can add a payment method and where it shows up afterwards.

Using the stripe add payment method that seems to work, we see the green check mark, after it is submitted then the redacted credit card number shows up.

But when we look at the profile of the user from the Admin level we do not see any Stripe info, nor do we see their info on Stripe.

No transaction was made. But we do need users to be able to add a payment method and get into the online paying direction. Right now after they login, ( if they were manually added) they see this message.

“Nothing to update. You’re NOT a paid Member.”

We have paypal and stripe gateways enabled.

How can users make a payment and get updated if they were imported or manually added?
We want the old members to get used to paying online.

Thanks! Sarah xo

Hi Sarah.

s2Member doesn’t store any card details, that’s handled by the gateway (e.g. Stripe, PayPal).

s2Member can have the user’s subscription ID, to recognize who paid when the gateway notifies about the payment. In the user’s profile, see the fields “Paid Subscr. Gateway” and “Paid Subscr. ID”.

You may find the s2Member Pro User Importer very handy to import or update users in bulk. WP Admin > s2Member > Import/Export > Users

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Clavaque,

Are you saying that if a member was added manually they cannot add a payment method if they were added manually and do not have a paypal or stripe id?

For example, some users did a bank transfer outside the system. We then added them ourselves.

We email them to remind them to pay their dues, they do not want to start over but pay using one of the two gateways?

Thanks, S

Right.

If before they had paid you with PayPal or Stripe, then fill out the fields I told you.

If they have an ongoing subscription with you in one of those gateways, and you configured the gateway with s2Member properly, s2 will be notified about new payments and if the subscr ID matches a user, his account will be udpated.

Then if he cancels the subscription, an end-of-term time will be set for his account, see WP Admin > s2Member > PayPal Options > Auto EOT Behavior

If he pays offline, then you’ll have to manage his access manually.

If he paid offline but you want to have him pay online in the future, create a payment page protected at Level 0 (so he at least has to be logged in, that way the new payment will be tied to his account), and have him make the next payment there, so that then a subscription can be created with your gateway and the gateway charges him recurringly from then on.

Does that help? :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks, that helps!

1 Like

Great!

I hope you now find it simpler to implement what you want, and let me know if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

Okay, bare with me… :grin: :neutral_face:
I have to talk this through with you! :smile_cat:

One issue is that we do not have payment subscriber ids that far back- pre 2016. ( Paypal does not go back that far and the secretary did not save that data, just when and what they paid ) So I am looking at about 50 + users who were either added manually or paid independently for memberships using paypal before we had the s2 member plugin.

AND

The organization does not want to delete users and have them re register.

Thus…

IF I make the payment page at level 0, even if they do not have a payment id on file… they will then LOGIN and THEN make a payment and that NEW payment id will be actualized on their profile?

Did I understand it correctly?
Thank so much, if I had it my way I would delete old users and just have them re-register.

On a related note…
Given new GDPR rules … its probably better to have old memberships get deleted, no?

S x

And last question I hope.

If someone has not specified any payment method, it does not matter what gateway they use. Correct? They can hop over to Stripe?

One more question, is there a way to edit the text of the message?:

Nothing to update. You’re NOT a paid Member.

I would people are confused by this default message because I need them to update their info or add the new payment data. Thanks!

S

IF I make the payment page at level 0, even if they do not have a payment id on file… they will then LOGIN and THEN make a payment and that NEW payment id will be actualized on their profile?

Yes, when they make a payment with an s2Member pro-form or button, their profile will get updated with the payment gateway and subscr. ID.

If you have users that you can’t get a subscr. ID for, then it’s fine to keep them at the higher level while their paid time lasta, just remember you’ll have to demote them (or set an EOT time) manually.

Given new GDPR rules … its probably better to have old memberships get deleted, no?

I don’t know about that. Sorry :confused:

If someone has not specified any payment method, it does not matter what gateway they use. Correct? They can hop over to Stripe?

I don’t see why not.

One more question, is there a way to edit the text of the message?:

You find that string here s2member/src/includes/translations/s2member.pot.

:slight_smile:

Update, things are working better but only for Stripe, I was able to have the user login, add a payment method, but when trying to use Paypal to add their payment method they got this error.

Error #10002. Security error. Security header is not valid.

After some sleuthing I saw it could have to do with sandbox settings but the paypal account is live and not in test mode, and in S2member pro on the website it is in live mode as well. Credentials check out as well.

Any ideas? Thanks, S

Okay. First verify that you have all your settings for the PayPal integration correct.

Then with logging enabled, reproduce the error, make a test purchase and review the log entries. WP Admin > s2Member > Log Files

A few cents purchase is enough, doesn’t need to be full price. Are there any errors mentioned there? Could you show me the log entries for the transaction with the problem?

Try also this tool and resolve any issues it warns you about, please. https://s2member.com/kb-article/server-scanner/

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile: