Stripe checkout returning HTTP 500 error since updating the Stripe API

Hey there,

So today I updated my Stripe API and as soon as I did, customers started reporting a HTTP 500 error when they click ‘checkout.’

I went ahead and re-entered my webhooks and API keys just to make sure they were all the same and updated, but that didn’t fix anything. I contacted Stripe support who told me that my Stripe account is creating tokens, but the s2member plugin isn’t using the tokens.

So they are getting some data, but I’m unsure why these transactions aren’t going through. Has anyone else had a problem with updating the Stripe API, or did I miss a step in the process?

Here’s some info on HTTP 500 errors: https://www.lifewire.com/500-internal-server-error-explained-2622938

What version of the Stripe API are you using?

Latest Stripe API version 2014-07-26

Are you sure? 2014 is quite old. I am using 2017-06-05.

Oh my mistake, that’s the version I reverted back to when my checkout process broke, but even reverting didn’t bring it back.

I know that the version I’m using isn’t the latest. I was wondering if you went to a later version than the one I’m using, and that caused the problem. I don’t know why reverting wouldn’t fix that, though. Maybe there’s something going on on your own site apart from that.

Ah, fixed this problem.

I know HTTP 500 Errors are server related, but they are also really vague and the API upgrade was all I could think of that changed.

Turns out, my server manager did find the issue this morning and sorted it out. It was on the server side. Thanks for the replies!

The first thing you need to know about an “Internal Server Error” is that the error can only be resolved by fixes to the Web server software. It is not a client-side problem meaning that the problem is not with our plugin. This is a ‘catch-all’ error generated by the Web server. Basically something has gone wrong, but the server can not be more specific about the error condition in its response to the client. In addition to the 500 error notified back to the client, the Web server should generate some kind of internal error log which gives more details of what went wrong. It is up to the operators of the Web server site to locate and analyse the logs which should give further information about the error.