Specific post/page confirmation email has started using '+' instead of spaces for %%item_name%% desc

Hi,

I’ve been using S2member successfully on a site for a year or so to sell annual subscriptions to a range of legal guides as well as using custom capabilities and Buy Now PayPal buttons to sell guides individually.

For some reason the specific post/page confirmation email to purchasers has started replacing spaces in the %%item_name%% with ‘+’ so that a BuyNow button shortcode with desc=“Access to ‘Name of the guide they have purchased’ for a period of 12 months” is producing an email notification with the desc as Access+to+‘Name+of+the+guide+they+have+purchased’+for+a+period+of+12+months

Does anyone have an idea why this might have changed. It was working normally before.

Thanks,

Phil

1 Like

Yes! I was just about to report this problem and was curious if someone else encountered this already. Now I see that I’m not alone.

It first happened yesterday (April 5th), this is what I received from Paypal:

PayPal+Module
Item# 5::30+D Referencing+Customer+ID: 8888
Customer+IP+Address: X.X.X.X

The interesting thing is that it doesn’t happen everytime. Some payments went through correctly, some didn’t.

Thank you,

Andy

It is intermittent for me as well. I don’t have access to my client’s PayPal account but I’m slightly concerned that purchasers might be paying twice as I received two notification emails within 3 minutes for the same transaction. One had the strange ‘+’ formatting and the other was normal. The content access links on the two emails were different. I’ve asked my client to investigate to see if the purchaser was charged twice and will follow up from there, though I’m not sure how to determine if this is a problem with S2member or PayPal.

I just add that these “+” payments are not recognized by s2member and therefore the users cannot register. So you are right - it can confuse our users to pay twice.

I can confirm that one of my client’s purchasers was charged twice. How do we get help with this?

You need to post this on s2Member’s Github site: https://github.com/WebSharks/s2Member/issues

Thanks, Tim - I’ll do that

The Github post is here:

Thanks for the heads up everyone and for opening the GitHub issue, Phillip. We’ll take a closer look at this and update the GitHub issue once we know more.

Any update about this matter?

This is the error my users are getting - now all of the new registrations.

ERROR: Unexpected txn_type/status. The txn_type/status did not meet requirements

I’m surprised that there are not more users with the same problem writing here.

It seems the problem is on Paypal, s2member sends all data correctly.

That would also explain why this problem started very unexpectedly - I didn’t update any module or changed any setting.

We are seeing it also on multiple sites beginning April 3rd.

Hoping for workaround soon, if not a completed fix.

We have joined the GitHub discussion.

been pulling my hair out since yesterday with this same issue, thought it was me cause I just setup this site and the first few test payments i done worked fine, now today nothing, just get Unexpected txn_type/status. The txn_type/status did not match a required action. I guess paypal is returning + for spaces in all the vars now

Starting to see more of these instances pop up on our site as well. Same exact error message “Unexpected txn_type/status. The txn_type/status did not meet requirements” immediately after PayPal processes a new order.

Do we have any idea as to when it might be remedied?

I keep having to manually generate registration links after users send us a note complaining that they never received it automatically.

As it is related to Paypal, you may need to check this thread.