Specific Post/Page Access - Single Post vs. Membership

In reading the s2Member documentation concerning Specific Post/Page Restriction Options, this caught my attention:

_"Avoid Conflicts! Please be careful not to create a conflict with any of your other Access Restrictions. If you are going to sell Specific Post/Page Access you should enter specific Post/Page IDs that have not already been protected by other Restrictions (either directly or indirectly). _

In short, make sure that you haven’t protected any of your Specific Posts/Pages with Member Level Access Restrictions already.

_ If you configure s2Member in such as a way, that a Post/Page requires both Membership Level Access and Specific Post/Page Access too, you will create a conflict. _

Customers that purchase Specific Post/Page Access would be unable to access the Post/Page without also having a Membership."

Does this then mean that I couldn’t offer an single post /download, protected by membership, for sale to a non-member on a one-off basis (at a higher per unit price, of course)?

I was really hoping to have both Membership and Specific Post access options available simultaneously. With all the bells and whistles seemingly embedded within the deep, dark recesses of s2M, there must be a way to configure this. Being a novice, this would be way beyond me, but I would seriously like to know, going forward, if this is at all possible.

Thanks.

Yes, that’s exactly what it means. Because, if you tried that, you’d end up protecting the post or page twice.

What you can do, however, is clone the post or page and give that its own specific protection so that you can sell access to it separately while still on the same site.

Ok, but how then would I keep it from showing up twice on the main blog page, in categories, in recent posts, etc.

Thanks.

That depends on how your site works. If you are using all of the things you mention, then what I’d suggest is that you create a special custom post type for one-off sales, and clone all the posts you want to sell to posts of that post type. Then it’s easy to keep everything separate.

How does one create a special custom post type? Is that done in the format menu on the Edit Posts page?

Also, what’s the easiest and quickest way to clone a post?

Thanks again.

Custom post type aren’t built into WordPress, though support for them is. This means that you can create a custom post type manually or, if you don’t want to get into code, you can just search the wordpress.org repo to find a plugin that will do it for you.

The easiest way to clone a post to a custom post type would just be to copy and paste the content, and then add whatever title you want.

Hey, i did that…
But after trying to manual upgrade the user to Level 1, the user can’t access the protected clone page.

If you are trying to sell per-post access to the custom post type, then this is exactly as expected.

The point of creating the custom post type was so that those posts could be sold on a per-post basis. So only someone who has bought specific access to that particular post will be able to access it. But they won’t have access to your regular posts.

Regular members, with s2Member levels, will continue to have access to your regular posts. But they won’t have access to your custom post type posts.

1 Like