Is this possible? (Urgent Technical Question)

I do have 1 more question actually…

After selling my business / website to the new buyer can the licence / account details for S2MemberPro simply be changed from my name to his name in https://s2member.com/account/ > Edit Account or is there something else we’d have to do?

I know it’s probably not a big deal seeing as S2MemberPro isn’t on a recurring payment plan but I just want to check that we do everything properly and without any issues.

Paypal is really bad when it comes to subscriptions and moving them - it’s not possible. It’s getting even worse - if you move to another country - you cannot even move your account to another paypal country. Not even inside European Union.

They recommend to simply not tell them that you don’t live in Country X anymore - but if they do find out by accident or some change - they can only stop all subscriptions (and you would need to email all users to resubscribe - likely losing 50% of your subscriptions or more).

If you change your company form from sole trader to limited company - it may also be impossible with paypal without losing subscriptions - depends a bit on the country. You’ld think paypal would treat you better if you leave them every year a couple grand in fees - but no. Their support is a bunch of donotknows/notpossible types if anything happens that is not common. Getting worse that it’s hard to find anyone on support to speak english and not only local language (showing how badly uneducated even senior support staff is).

Note that if you take payments for someone else - you will likely face tough regulatory strings - at least in Europe. I’ld never accept that - because financial authorities could easily kill you if you don’t register correctly for this as a bizness. Money laundering laws, and other laws will legally put you in a really really bad situation.
Only solution - you can change the name of the paypal account, meaning hand over the full account to someone else in your country I guess. You will need to hand over your associated email then too. That would be the only viable solution IMHO.

Stripe you cannot move subscriptions either - but you can export them - then reimport into another accounts. It’s very complicated to do and they do not offer scripts or anything for that. So a couple of thousand subscriptions may cost you 100 hours of work time. But well - at least it is possible.

1 Like

You can give him the s2Member Pro account at s2member.com, sure. Just don’t both use it, it’d become his, if you’re okay with that. The username can’t be changed, but he can login and change the email address and password to his.

Does that make sense?

S2MemberPro isn’t on a recurring payment plan

Right, that’s not an issue there. I do want to give you a heads-up that I will start charging recurringly in order to help the project be viable and grow. Existing Pro users keep their lifetime access without being required to subscribe, of course. So if you want to use s2Member Pro again in the future, you may want to keep your license and have him get his.

:slight_smile:

I didn’t read the entire thread, but why not transfer the PayPal account?

Only within same country, so it is ■■■■** up if you move to another country, even if same person or company.

But yes, at worst set up a new entity simply to accept PayPal subscriptions, however if you need a bank license for that which is possible, you’re done…

Gotcha.

So it’s not really an s2member concern, then, right?

Correct