Double payments issue with PayPal

It’s usually PayPal servers reacting slow, not sending out the confirmation. Then customer thinks payment failed and pays again. PayPal sometimes, like 1/200 takes ,5–10 minutes to get the payment through.

Then 1 out if 3 just pays again, and maybe again…

but actually - maybe even with payment buttons s2member could prevent this? Is there some mechanism that for a single IP maybe s2member sends the same identification for paypal - so paypal can notice it’s a double payment?

1 Like

It may be possible. I’m looking into it. I don’t know that the PayPal API that s2 used for the integration supports that, but I’ll see what can be done.

1 Like

Is anyone else still having this problem? We just got a 6x payment (charged six times instead of just once):

The user was upset, naturally.

We asked the user if they noticed anything odd when they purchased and they said “No it seemed normal, I just purchased [one]. I’m not sure why it came back as 6.”

The charges all happened in a span of 14 seconds:
April 21, 2021 at 8:11:56 PM PDT
April 21, 2021 at 8:11:58 PM PDT
April 21, 2021 at 8:11:58 PM PDT
April 21, 2021 at 8:12:01 PM PDT
April 21, 2021 at 8:12:04 PM PDT
April 21, 2021 at 8:12:10 PM PDT

These are one time payments, with “Payment Type: Website Payments Pro”, and went through a Visa card.

Please let me know if you need any more information

@clavaque I was wondering if this issue was reported by other clients and if perhaps it is fixed in the newer versions of s2member? I don’t see any mention of it in the change logs, but perhaps it was fixed but not mentioned in the change log.

Hi Alan.

I haven’t had anyone else report it. I haven’t changed anything to the code, since I haven’t been able to reproduce the behavior to isolate the cause behind it.

Did you keep getting duplicate charges? Anything regular or in common between them? Do you have the s2 logs for those?

:slight_smile: